I've always made this by removing the currants from the stem, adding water, boiling them for a bit and then sieving them to remove the seeds. The worst part is getting the currants off the stems.
I tried something new this time. I froze the currants on the stems, then thawed them and pressed them in a large sieve. The freeze/thaw broke down the skins just the way boiling did. I figured that freezing them would not add any unwanted "stem flavor" as boiling them on the stems might.
Since the recipe called for adding 1 1/2 cups water to the currants when boiling them down, I added 1 cup water to the juice I got, figuring some might evaporate during the boiling. So I used 5 1/2 cups currant juice, 1 cup water, and 4 1/2 cups sugar for the low-sugar sure-jell package. Made 9 jars. I think the flavor is better and even though I didn't strain the juice through a cheesecloth, the result is pretty clear--closer to a jelly than a jam.